Labels

Monday, September 12, 2016

The Gift of Yoga

The past year for me has been a journey filled with griefs endured--overcome?--and lessons learned.  One of those lessons is that before a person can give to others, he must first have something to give.  In other words, I have to take care of myself in order to have an abundance for those around me.

I was reminded of this in a powerful way this morning.  For a while I've been telling myself it is time to get back to working out and "dieting."  Today I determined to start.  I ate oatmeal with raisins with the kids and announced, "Mommy's doing yoga." 

My love affair with yoga is a blog in itself.  Suffice it to say, several years ago my sister gave me a DVD entitled "The Gift of Yoga" featuring Gena Kenny.  It was the first time in my life exercise felt like worship.  I was hooked. 

I used to practice yoga six days a week.  Then I injured my shoulder.  Then my wrist.  Then my ex asked for a divorce.  I suddenly found myself too tired and overwhelmed to "exercise." 

So today, I felt like a woman attending her 10 year reunion and coming face-to-face with her old flame again.  Will I still enjoy yoga like I did?  Will my body stand up to it?  Will my kids stay entertained long enough for me to actually complete my practice? 

Yes.  Yes.  Yes. 

I really noticed two things this morning.  One, my very being felt like it was coming home.  I was stiffer and weaker than a year ago, but my body remembered where it had been and was happy to be on its way back. 

Two, yoga is a way I minister to me.  When the practice was over, I felt different.  I felt happier.  I felt freer.  I suddenly had more of me to share with my kids. 

Notice I am not really reflecting on the "exercise" aspect of yoga.  There is no doubt that yoga, even a "light" practice like this one, is an amazing workout.  But for me right now, that is the icing on the cake.  The real benefits for me are spiritual and emotional.  Yoga is the most holistic activity I have ever experienced. 

It truly is a gift. 

No comments:

Post a Comment