Labels

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Fun at Home

Back when I was young, single, and free, my idea of a great vacation was going somewhere.  Like a Thanksgiving road trip to Wisconsin, by way of Illinois, Iowa, Indiana . . . (at least it felt that way as we wandered around on the right road in the wrong state for many an hour . . . but at least we wandered into an OLD A&W!) 

Or Spring Break Choir Tours to California, Florida, New England (where we didn't get to see my family due to getting snowbound in NYC . . . but I got to see Cats!). 

Or a week-long missions trip to Mexico where we discovered that our "translator's" English was not quite as good as my Spanish, so I ended up getting very familiar with my Spanish-English dictionary and somehow even got invited to move down there permanently.  (At least, I think that's what the pastor was saying . . .!) 

Vacation has a different meaning now.  I have come to relish the notion of "stay-cation."  There's something warm and cozy about your home . . . especially if you haven't been in it much!

Today my kids and I enjoyed just such a respite.  The past week was busy--farm visits for Mom, a birthday party for one cousin, a 60th birthday party for my aunt . . . lots of motion!  So today we hung out.

And I do mean "hung out."  My son, for some reason, decided it was a day for running around in his underwear.  I can't say much, really.  I was in my pj's until noontime when my pastor called offering to bring over some goat's milk (which tasted really good tonight, by the way!).  I dashed into clothes to look put-together . . . an illusion I just shattered by confessing it online!

Do not let the attire fool you, though.  We were productive today.   The kids wanted to do "schoolwork," so I pulled out the "Teach My Preschooler" box.  My daughter practiced writing circles (using a perfect "OK" hand grip) while my son built number trains. 

The kids watched Milo and Otis, a movie that I disliked the first time and grow to love more and more with each consecutive viewing.  I washed and folded laundry. 

(Let me just say that my form of purgatory would not be perpetually rolling rocks up hills or bending down for an elusive drink of water . . . mine is emptying a laundry basket into the washer, doing something else for half an hour, and then finding a rogue sock that could have gone in that load and is now sitting by itself in a not-quite-empty hamper!) 

We ate pork chops for lunch, dredged in dijon mustard, honey, and panko bread crumbs.  My son swore it was inedible . . . until the first bite.  "This is really good, Mom!"  Yeah.  I know.  That's why I made it for you!

I read "Chica Chica Bum Bum" in Spanish and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" in English. 

After nap time we played outside, even though the grass was wet with earlier rain.  The kids got wet.  They were happy.  So was I. 

They went out for supper with their Daddy.  I stayed in and picked a HealthShare for when my health insurance expires next month. 

This is not a "divorce-centric" entry, so I won't go into great detail on the process, but I have to admit that choosing which Christian health-share was a remarkable experience.  Jimmy, who answered my call at Samaritan's, was SO kind and prayed so beautifully for me that I cried.  Really.  I am always amazed and humbled and blessed by our Family.  I thank God for His "hands and feet" in my life. 

My munchkins came home, flooded me with hugs and kisses, showed me their "treasures," and snuggled down for Bible time.  I can now hear them both sleeping deeply . . . hopefully dreaming happily. 

I created some ads for my VBS adventure, and wrote this blog.

And I even feel somewhat rested. 

What more can you ask from a vacation?! 

2 comments:

  1. A blessing to hear the joy in your words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing in the world as delightful as a PJ Day!

      Delete