Labels

Saturday, May 21, 2016

My Brother's Keeper

Many of us are familiar with Cain and Abel, the characters in history's first murder mystery.  (Read all about it in Genesis 4.)  Abel was a shepherd; Cain was a dirt farmer.  When the time came to offer sacrifices, Abel brought livestock; Cain brought produce.  Abel's offering was accepted; Cain's wasn't.  In his anger, Cain lured Abel to the fields and murdered him.  When God confronted Cain, Cain famously replied, "Am I my brother's keeper?" 

On some level Cain's response has always baffled me.  I am a firstborn, and for as long as I can remember, I have felt that I was indeed my brother's (and sister's!) keeper.  As the oldest, it is my job to look out for my siblings, protect them, guide them, encourage them, and from time to time rebuke them.  I am responsible for them. 

That is a concept I am beginning to disavow, thanks to Cloud and Townsend's seminal work Boundaries.  The problem lies with that pesky little preposition "for."  As Cloud and Townsend present it, I can only be responsible for myself.  This means I am responsible for my actions (and their consequences).  I am responsible for my emotions and how I communicate (or don't communicate) them to others.  I am responsible for setting and maintaining limits on myself.  I am also responsible for choosing what/who is allowed within my circle. 


Notice what I am responsible for: myself.  I am my responsibility.  Nobody can do this work for me.  And nobody can really take that responsibility away from me. 

Also notice what I am not responsible for: anyone else.  I am not responsible for anyone else's actions, thoughts, emotions, successes, or failures.  I am not responsible for anyone else's happiness or contentment. 

If we stop here, it seems as if Cain actually had it right.  How can he be his brother's keeper if he is not responsible for Abel? 

Ahhh.  Cain was responsible in regards to Abel, but he was responsible to him . . . not for him.  What does that mean?  To my fledgling understanding of this matter, it means that Cain (and you, and I) are responsible to show our brothers love, compassion, and concern. 

Where we see a legitimate need and have both the ability and the inclination to meet it, we should.  Where we see persistent sin (in a believer), we should gently and lovingly confront it with the goal of fostering spiritual growth.  It means we should consider our brothers' feelings, thoughts, and needs in our interactions with them. 

Wait a minute.  Didn't I just say I wasn't responsible for the feelings of others but now I suddenly am again?  NO.  Example.  Let's say my son falls down and gets a gash on his knee that requires stitches.  My son is screaming in terror.  (Did not happen . . . this is hypothetical!) 

Responsible for means that I take ownership for my son's terror because I am bringing him to get stitches.  I do all I can to make his bad feelings go away, taking credit for it if they do, feeling the blame of it if they don't.  I probably end up feeling guilty as well as angry at my son for making me feel guilty. 

Responsible to means I empathize with my son's terror and offer him what comfort I can while assuming no personal ownership either for his terror or for the alleviating of it.  I give what I can without basing my value or effectiveness as a person or a parent on his reactions. 

Back to Cain.  He was not responsible for Abel: his walk with God, his offerings, his anything.  He was responsible for himself: his walk with God, his offerings, his everything else.  He was responsible to Abel: responsible not to harm him out of anger, not to blame him for his own deficiencies, not to try avoiding the natural consequences of his own sin by eradicating the one who "sinned not." 

This is a challenge for me, and for all of us who have grown up with an over-exaggerated sense of responsibility.  The irony is that by assuming responsibility for everyone else, we often give up responsibility for ourselves.  In my case, it was my emotional well-being that I surrendered.  I somehow expected others to take care of that for me while I was busy taking care of it for others. 

It doesn't work that way.  Instead, my needs weren't being met and those around me were deprived of the opportunity to identify and meet their own needs.  Everyone lost out. 

So, with the help of my supportive family and brilliant counselors, I am working to break that pattern.  I am allowing my children to handle their own emotions while providing them with the love, support, words, and techniques to do so effectively.  (Responsible to!)  I am allowing the people in my life to make their own choices, whether I agree with them or not, and to experience the natural consequences of those choices.  (Responsible to!)

I am also learning to identify my needs and come up with ways of meeting them.  (Responsible for!)  I am accepting that my feelings of guilt are mine.  Nobody can make me feel guilty; they can only try!  (Responsible for!)  I am learning to accept that sometimes making the moves that protect my heart, my mind, my spirit, and my family can be painful, but that pain also is mine . . . and it is not necessarily an indication that those are the wrong moves.  Many times it is the sign that I'm in just the right place doing just the right thing. 

This is a hard process for me.  I have mostly been able to forgive people freely because, in a sense, I usually blamed their failings on myself!  It's easy to forgive if there's really nothing to forgive!  Now that I'm seeing "me" and "not me" more clearly, that forgiveness thing is sometimes a lot harder.  It's more difficult to forgive when one actually has stuff to forgive. 

But the struggle is a good one.  It is an opportunity for growth and maturity . . . and with God's grace, it will bear fruit. 

2 comments:

  1.   When considering Cain's answer to God, it is good to consider that his entire paradigm was warped and misguided. Cain saw the world as a world of responsibility: demands, obligations, deadlines, structure, contracts, ruling it over others. All of this proceeds from Cain's restlessness: the ceaseless striving to build for himself a world without God. The City of Man (Babylon, Edom, Assyria, Egypt/Rahab), is man's imposition of dead structure on the living cosmos. Cain is the servant who buried the talent, refusing to respond by creating his own world of responsibility.
     God's response to such structure is destruction. He will not allow one of man's cities to survive His return (Isa 14:21, 17:9, & 26, Zeph 3:6, Rev 19), but will do the same thing he did to Jericho, turning all cities into pastures and wildlife refuges.  Imagine how many Belgian horses will be able to graze on that! Plenty of horses for those bells that Zechariah dreamt of.
     God's definition of justice with the Law is best depicted by Hosea:
     "And in that day I will answer, declares the LORD, I will answer the heavens, and they shall answer the earth, and the earth shall answer the grain, the wine, and the oil, and they shall answer Jezreel, and I will sow her for myself in the land."
     The boundaries of the Law are not there for responsibility, but for responsiveness.  They guard the Wellspring of Life.  This wellspring is expressed by a double quaternary of passages: Nu 21:16-17, Prov 4:23, Prov 5:15-19, Prov 18:4, Psa 23:5, SS 4:12, Isa 58:11,  and Jn 4:14.  This is the Holy of Holies, where God is drawing His people. 
      The difference between responsiveness and responsibility is the difference between life and death, between the vital marriage described in Proverbs 5, and what you experienced. Nick did not fail because he failed to stay within the boundaries of the Law. Nick failed because he is dead, and has no well spring to offer. How else could he have pretended to work on your marriage while charming another woman into bed? 
      A dead man is unresponsive, and will always be under the Law of sin and death, and never with the Law of the Spirit of Life. Note those two terms in Romans 8:2, come from Deuteronomy 30, and point to the same Law.
       I wish I could help you see that you have lost nothing but a farce when you lost that dead man. You are still viewing him and others through worldly eyes, and it is hurting you deeply to do so.  If you are going to find freedom, it is only through the deep truth of Scripture, by truly believing that "every word of God is flawless."
      Every moment of our lives is a chance to respond to God and to His people. The Law provides wonderful details on how to do this, but can only be understood by the living, not the dead. God is the God of the living, whether they are tangible or not. The cloud of witnesses is still living, and surrounding us. 
      "Not so the wicked." They have and always will be dry and dead chaff. 
       The greater part of life's battle is to ignore toxic fools, to allow the Scripture to identify and sideline them in our lives. "Better to live in a desert," "better to meet a mother bear robbed of her cubs..." Count your blessings that you have been freed from a toxic fool, who is digging his own pit to fall into it. 
     Of course this calls your judgment into question, and is difficult to accept because of that. I'm right there with you, sis, and I've learned to pray Psalm 38 with open honesty before God, admitting my own wisdom is bankrupt. Yet no matter how painfully apparent my folly, God's Wisdom still guides and protects (Prov 1-9).  This is extremely humbling, but "God gives grace to the humble, and opposes the proud." 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think about this in terms of the parable of the Good Samaritan. The priest and the levite are very responsible, ensuring they fulfill their obligations no matter what happens. They are condemned.
      The good Samaritan forgoes his obligations, and is irresponsible. But he is responsive to an inconvenient need for a man who is his categorical enemy. In some ways this makes him doubly irresponsible, and doubly responsive, which is why God commends him.
      When you think about the modern church, which breaks the Law (Deut 14) by spending tithe money on buildings, which is reserved for those in need (full time ministry, the poor, the foreigner/alien), the church is a very responsible institution, but is unresponsive to the Law, sound doctrine, God, and people. It is also unresponsive to its people by refusing to judge properly through thorough investigation (Deut 13, 17, 19, I Cor 6), for God's people are called to lift up the afflicted and break the arm of the oppressor (Ezk 13:19). The Law has not been repealed, for it is the very details of love, love being the summary of the Law.
      The Law provides relief to the victim of adultery, but because it is not followed, suffering is intensified--I see it in the questions you ask, which you would not have to ask were Christ and His holy ones now seated on the earthly thrones of judgment per Isaiah 1-2.
      Yet he is on his throne, and it is only a matter of time before he repays the arrogant to their face (Psa 94).
      That is what the Scripture clearly teaches, and the church's unresponsiveness to this truth, substituting humanistic ideas of forgiveness, makes your situation worse. They think they are actually being merciful to those who are in sin, because they start with the same error as the Arians and Manicheans, and cannot see that sin is the worst condition of man, so that even wrath and hell is a relief from its annihilating effect (Matt 18:6, Matt 12:40, Jon 2:1).
      Yes we are a very responsible civilization, and almost wholly unresponsive, i.e.dead. Per Isaiah 13, God will still be faithfully responsive despite our unresponsiveness, bringing about David's last vision of hope (II Sam 23) and Hosea's beautiful picture of justice (2:21-22).

      Delete