Labels

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Fishing for Love


Eight years ago, my boyfriend's parents invited me to spend a week with them at their camp in Maine.  I was nervous and excited.  He and I sat in the backseat flirting with each other while his parents drove us to their family's vacation spot.  Six months later, we would be married. 

Today, I made that same trip with my two kids, my two dogs, and my mother-in-law riding shotgun.  My father-in-law drove ahead of us, towing the boat and the fishing gear.  This Thursday, while we are together at Camp, my divorce will become final. 

I can't help but spend some time remembering that first trip.  Pop and Nick and I fished.  A lot.  I never really fished before I met Nick.  I frankly don't really enjoy fishing.  I enjoy the fighting part, bringing the fish to the boat, but I hate seeing them torn up from the hook, thrashing around while I try to get it out, and gasping before I finally throw them back into the water. 

This morning my son said something to the effect that Mom doesn't fish.  I replied, "I fish." 

Pop said, "Your mother likes to fish." 

I said, "Not really.  I like being on the boat." 

"But you fished in the ocean . . . "

"I fished because I liked being with Nick.  I was in love." 

I remember those days.  I remember how it felt good to spend time doing an activity I don't particularly love because I'm doing it with someone I do. 

I would not choose to go fishing with Nick now.  Not on the shore, not on a boat, not in the ocean, not in a moat. 

But this week, I will choose to go fishing.  I will fish with my little boy.  I will fish with my little girl.  I will fish with my ex's mom.  I will fish with my ex's dad. 

Why? 

Because I am in love again. 

I am in love with two little kids who think fishing on "The Brown Boat" is the greatest thing in the world.  I am in love with a little house with "Duke's Place" on a plaque over the door.  I am in love with a man and a woman who have treated me like a daughter for almost a decade and feel like my second parents.  

And because I am in love, I will once again enjoy fishing. 

5 comments:

  1. Fly angling is an incredible approach to alleviate your anxiety and test yourself in the meantime.saltwater baitcasting reels

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have dabbled with fly fishing. It is a beautiful art...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing great informational content.
    write for us travel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing great informational content.
    Read my latest technology related blogs
    pikdo
    Avast UI failed to load
    kissanime ru
    sbcglobal email login

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's worth noting that your ex is very good at charming/flirting. There's something grotesquely absurd about someone who can charm one woman into thinking he's working on marriage, well charming another into bed. Darkness is darkness, not light.
    "Charm is deceitful." It is also malicious (Prov 26). Please consider that those who will make you hopping mad by telling you the truth are the pearls who love you, while the charmers are swine who will trample you.
    "Guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

    ReplyDelete