Labels

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Living in a Maine State of Mind

I took my first solo trip around the great state of Maine today.  

This really shouldn't be a big deal.  After all, I've soloed from RI to Wisconsin and RI to NH.  I was the designated driver when my brother, his future wife, my gal pal, and I toured CA and Nevada.  I make my living traveling to new places and writing about them.

I am perfectly capable of managing a one-hour trip from Greenbush to Corinth.  So why is this such a big deal?

Maine was Nick's territory.

For over a decade, he and his parents have been exploring Maine.  It's their second home.  If we were contemplating a trip, Nick chose where we were going and how we would get there.  I was just along for the ride.

Not this time.

This time, I did my pre-trip recon on-line from the comfort of my home in RI.  I programmed a trip into “My Maps” on Mapquest.  Today I borrowed a Maine Gazetteer (which is also something I have always subconsciously considered Nick’s personal property) from Pop and headed off to interview farmers for some articles.

Along the way, I saw places we went together...like on our hiking trip last summer when I remember thinking we were in a better place than the year before. (Boy, have I got great instincts!)

For nearly a decade, Maine has been Nick’s turf.  I was a visitor.  Not anymore.  

As of today, I am claiming Maine for myself.  I will come to know it my way...and it will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment