Labels

Thursday, August 4, 2016

Pearly Whites

Every Mom can admit that there are times when motherhood is just plain hard.  You know, the nights you sit up with a sick kid getting puked on and changing sheets three times and doing a load of laundry at 2am because you've changed your last set and the kid's still sick.

Or there's the trip to the grocery store with one kid screaming to see the lobsters, another screaming for a drink, and your head screaming for an Advil.

Those are the days when you earn your mother stripes. 

Every once in a while, however, there's another kind of day, a pat-on-the-back-from-God day, a day when being a mom is just plain fun.  

Today was the latter for me.  Like so many of those gift days, it was pretty ordinary.  The kids played with their cousins while I went to counseling.  We went to the dentist.  Kids had Daddy Day.  (I went to the family counselor to assist with the kids' emotional security during this time of tumult!) 

Bright spot #1:  We are eating lunch with my brother, sister-in-law, and my cousins.  My kids eat beautifully, even getting seconds and thirds of vegetables.  They become the example, "Your cousins are eating their vegetables . . ."  Mommy smiles.  

Bright spot #2:  The kids walk into Arrowhead Dental with their charm meter zipping through the roof despite having fallen into sound sleep in the car and being awakened at the dentist's office.  

Bright spot #3:  Ranita sits very bravely for his cleaning, exam, and fluoride treatment, inspiring his reluctant sister to do the same.  Both receive ample praise from the hygienist.  Chinchita also receives props from her brother: "That's my girl!" 

Bright spot #4: While I get my cleaning, my son chats up the pretty hygienist.  He says to her, "So, what are you doing after this?"  She almost drops the pick in my mouth and says, "That is the first time I've ever been asked that!  You are so sweet!"  Mom beams again, as well as possible with someone else's hands in her mouth.  

Bright spot #5:  While I settle up the bill (a much more expensive affair now that I no longer have dental insurance . . . thank goodness the kids are covered under their dad!), the kids unwrap their "sticky toys" from the treasure chest.  Ranita begins to disappear around the corner.  I say, "Where are you going?" in a very MOM voice.  

He responds, with a little edge in his tone, "There's a trash can over there; I'm throwing it away."  

I say, "Excuse me.  Is that how you speak to your mother?  Adjust your tone, please."  

He replies, "May I please throw the wrapper in the trash?"  

"Most certainly.  Thank you."  

The receptionist's eyes are bugging out: "They are so good!"  Mommy again brushes it off, but again shows off her newly-buffed smile.  

Bright spot #6:  Mommy has a stroke of genius and decides to treat her little angels to ice cream across the street at Holy Cow.  Lemon for Ranita, Rainbow Sherbet for Chinchita, and The Breakup for Mommy.  (I couldn't resist--chocolate ice cream with nuts and brownie chunks . . . and the name couldn't be more fitting!)  The kids eat nicely; the weather iss perfect; and the ice cream is delicious.  Ranita runs along the fence near the pond while Chinchita nurses her sherbet.  

I am happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment