Labels

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Top 6 Signs You are Beginning to Heal

So, I am NOT over my divorce.  Not by a long shot.  This weekend, however, I got some definite signs that the healing process has begun.  I find that awareness a little frightening, to be honest.  I am not a fickle person, and I take my commitments very seriously, so it seems too early to begin finding peace. 

On the other hand, I am seeing that this moment has actually been 8-1/2 years in the making, which takes much of the unfounded guilt away!  I suspect the healing process will be much like it is with any other wound.  It starts to heal and scab, then it starts to itch, then you scratch, then it oozes, then it scabs over, etc. 

This list is the equivalent of my first emotional scabbing over.  (Sounds kinda gross, doesn't it?!?)
  1. You attend a family function and get an hour in before you realize you have not once thought, "I can't believe I'm doing this solo."
  2. You get home late with two sleeping kids in the car and bring them in without once thinking, "This was so much easier when there were two of us."  
  3. Your basement floods.  As you begin cleaning up the mess you think, "I am so glad he left the wet/dry vac!"  You do not think, "(!%*&&^ ex!  This was supposed to be his job!"  
  4. You notice that your tenant's mailbox has rusted to the point it is virtually inoperable.  You do not call your ex who said he'd fix it before he moved out.  Instead, you buy a new box and smile thinking, "I am so glad I bought that new set of drill bits!"  
  5. Your son has an emotional outburst on you, and you have no inclination to call your ex for backup. 
  6. You hear about all the things your ex is doing with his girlfriend--all those things he once did with you--and, instead of wanting to throw up, you just laugh and think, "Déjà vu all over again!"  And you suddenly realize that you're glad it's not you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment