Labels

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A Friend in the Darkness

Last night I attended the Rhode Island Raised Livestock Association's Annual Meeting.  When I left around 9pm, the world was covered in ice, snow, and sleet from our January-in-April snowstorm.  I de-iced my car, settled into my seat, and put on my wipers.  Or tried to.  One worked; the other tried valiantly and remained stuck under its partner.

Naturally it was the driver's side that didn't work.

At this point, I was experiencing two degrees of panic.  The first was the very pressing issue of how to get home without wipers.  The second was how I was going to pay for repairs to my car when my divorce is progressing, we are just starting to separate finances, and I don't yet have a steady income.

I decided to deal with the most immediate issue and stop at a gas station, hoping for someone who could help.  (I did mention it's 9pm during a snowstorm, right?)  I pulled in and saw this long, lanky, farmer-looking gentleman standing at the pumps beside a pickup truck with a snowplow.  (And no, I can't tell you what a farmer looks like . . . a farm kid just knows one when she sees one!)

I boldly walked up and asked, "Excuse me, do you know anything about windshield wipers?"

"A little."

I stuck out my hand and introduced myself.  (His name was Mike . . . and I was right . . . he was a sheep farmer!)

He tried popping off the wiper to inspect it, but Cebu the Subaru (VeggieTales fans will know how she got her name!) refused to cooperate.  I thanked my would-be hero and decided to drive home without using the wipers . . . and praying heartily!

Thankfully, the ride home was precipitation-free, barring one encounter with a tractor trailer.  I was singing "This Little Light of Mine," I was so happy.

This morning, first thing, I called my trusty mechanic at Pierce Imports, saying I had a minor emergency with my wipers.  "Come on down," he said.

I did.  Envisioning a large bill.  Penury.  Hunger.  Financial ruin.  Praying for a miracle.

Ten minutes we sat in the waiting room.  My children didn't have time to grow bored with the box of Smurfs, kaleidoscopes, and leggy spider toys stashed under the coffee table before he said, "All set."

All set.  I bet.

"It was a loose nut.  Happens when it's icy like this."

The charge?  Not a cent.  He even told me how to fix it myself the next time it happened.

I thanked him profusely.  There's a reason I love my mechanic!

As I got the kids in the car, I thanked God profusely.  I thanked him that, in this time of my life, he is re-teaching me to cast all my burdens on Him.  He really does care for us.   

No comments:

Post a Comment