Labels

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Of Jesus, Gems, and Double Chocolate Cookies

Today I went to visit one of my "gems."  Through the years I have been blessed with an undeserved abundance of amazing friends: these are my gems.  They are the truly priceless treasures that have made and continue to make my life so rich and delightful.

When it comes to precious stones, Rhoda is a pearl.

Rhoda and I are connected in a variety of different ways, and today we reminisced about most of them.  She is, to begin with, a cousin . . . distant, but blood nonetheless.  (Half of North Scituate is a cousin in one way or another . . . that's why I married a guy from Cumberland!) 

Her cousinhood is never the first thing I think of, though.  In my mind, she is one of my spiritual grandmothers.  We attended the same church throughout my childhood, and she has left an indelible print on me.

For one thing, she is truly the kindest woman I have ever known.  I have never heard her raise her voice or say a harsh . . . not even a remotely critical . . . word about anyone.  She has an amazing ability to see the good in everyone, no matter how little good there is to find.

Combined with this is her love for everyone, and I personally have always felt surrounded by it.  When trying to describe her to people I have often said, "As a child, I always felt she could walk in on my brother, my sister, and me setting fire to the sanctuary and somehow find a reason why it wasn't our fault."  (Disclaimer: None of my family would ever consider setting fire to the sanctuary!  We all loved our church!)

Now with most people, it would be hard to stomach so much sweetness.  I don't know about you, but I don't usually trust people who are perpetually happy . . . kind . . . gentle . . . good.  Chalk it up to my own wickedness, but I tend to think they're hiding something.  Rhoda is different.  After knowing her nearly forty years, I can vouch for her authenticity.

If she were to read this--which she won't unless someone prints it and sends it to her because she doesn't have internet--she would put up her hand as if to deflect the compliment and say, "That is the work of Jesus!"  And again, she would be completely sincere.

For Rhoda loves Jesus.

Rhoda, whose grandson is my age, still leads 5 Bible studies a week, often using a study she and I compiled with others from our church decades ago.  Rhoda doesn't just believe in telling others about Jesus, she believes in growing others into Jesus.  She is the true definition of a disciple-maker.

And Rhoda prays.  In fact, while I was sitting at her table sipping peppermint tea and munching on the best double chocolate cookies I have ever tasted, she received a call from the prayer chain, took the message, and then called the next person on the chain.

Now, I know Rhoda is not perfect.  I have not personally seen any of her flaws, but because she is human I know she must have them.  She, like us all, faces problems that challenge her trust that God can provide.  Yet trust she does.  Like the man who asked Jesus for help, she (and I!) sometimes cry, "I believe!  Help me in my unbelief!"

I think I am compelled to write about her today because I would like to be more like her.  I would like to be more generous in my assessments of people . . . of myself, even.  I would like to be more unselfish, unstintingly giving of my time and resources, even when there is no hope of reciprocation.  I would like to spend more time in what really matters . . . sharing Jesus with a world that so desperately needs him (and doing a better job of living like someone who has been saved by His grace).

I don't think I will ever attain that, but spending time with her sure gives me motivation to try.  If nothing else, maybe I can get her to share her cookie recipe with me . . . !

No comments:

Post a Comment