Labels

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Writers Anonymous

They say the third time's a charm. and I'm hoping they're right, because this is the third time I've started this blog, and that's just a little ridiculous!  The reason for the repeated aborted attempts is pretty simple: exhaustion.

Those who know me well know that I am quite fond of my sleep.  I am not a sleep connoisseur like my college roommate--no eye masks here!--but I am close.  Through six years of higher education, I never pulled one bona fide all-nighter for academic reasons.  The one all-nighter I did pull was the Sunday night that started the Wheaton Revival of 1995.

(As an aside, follow the link for that one--that event was one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced and changed the entire course of not only my college years but also my life.)

That night aside, I went to bed every night at 8:00pm.  It didn't matter who was in our room, how much noise they were making, or how many lights were on.  Nothing stood in the way of bedtime.

Now, however, I am living some kind of alternate reality, and the result is fatigue the likes of which I have rarely known.  Once my kids snuggle into their beds at 7pm, Mommy sits at the computer and starts working.

Emails.  Articles.  Facebook posts.  LinkedIn updates.  Blogs.  (Have you noticed when most of my blog posts get published?  I used to see 11:00 only once a day . . . when the sun was shining!)  Then I drag myself into bed, lie down, and . . . turn the light on again to write in my prayer journal because there are thoughts zigzagging through my brain that demand to be put on paper.

Since my two little angels wake promptly at 6am most days, I am beginning to feel the effects of too few hours of shut-eye.  And yet, I'm finding it a bit of a rush, as well.  It seems as if I am suddenly living in a world refulgent with narrative . . . and I am tasked with recording it.

If I can keep my eyes open. 

Do they have a support group for writing addicts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment