Labels

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Parfait Perfection

I wish I could say today was a delight from start to finish, but I would be lying.  There were many delightful moments, but the overall feeling was one of fatigue, angst, and way too much poop. 

(Really . . . both of my kids have apparently forgotten what the white porcelain object in the bathroom is for.  I will spare you all the lurid details, but suffice it to say my floors, shower, and kids got several deep-cleanings today!) 

I'm tired of dwelling on the dirty parts of life, however, so I want to end my day recalling one of the bright moments: supper. 

Suppertime can be a crap shoot in our house.  I try hard to prepare tasty, healthy meals, but there are times when end-of-the-day exhaustion could out-maneuver Julia Child, and I am certainly no Julia Child! 

Tonight was not one of them.  My kids came in the house for supper absolutely miserable.  I had set up the pool today (a month late, but who's keeping track?).  My little water-babies could not understand why they couldn't swim in a pool that a) was not completely full and b) was about 50 degrees Fahrenheit.  Obviously Mommy was out to spoil their fun. 

My original dinner plan was cheeseburger wraps, but the aura of impending mutiny made me suggest something easier and, frankly, yummier:  fruit and yogurt parfaits.  The idea was met with universal approval. 

So, I pulled out my vanilla Chobani Greek yogurt, a banana, an orange, some blueberries and strawberries, a handful of walnuts, a can of whipped cream, a jar of maraschino cherries, and (at Ranita's request) a sprinkling of chocolate chips.  Can we just say Heaven in a Bowl? 

What more can you ask of supper than for it to taste like dessert?! 

Of course, my smart son wanted dessert as well.  ("I ate all my supper, Mommy!")  I obliged with a shortbread Girl Scout cookie.  (They were my least favorite as a kid, but I have to say I've developed an appreciation for their sweet simplicity!) 

Things fell apart again later in the evening, but for about 40 minutes all three of us were happy.  Both of my kids fell all over themselves thanking me for supper and telling me how delicious it was.  (See . . . who needs Julia Child after all?!?) 

I beamed, pleased that I had attained Most Favored Mother status for a few moments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment