Labels

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Props for Publisher

Warning!  My graphic design peeps are going to hate this post!

Although I am by no means a graphic designer, I have had to do quite a bit of basic graphic design.  Postcards, newspaper ads, websites, that kind of thing.  Because I am virtually self-taught--and not an Apple user!--I have found Microsoft Publisher to be a lifesaver. 

Why do I like Publisher?  Ahh, where to start?!

1.  I like the fact that I can set my page size quickly and easily. 
2.  I like that you can print multiple copies of the same page (think postcard) on a larger page (think 8.5"x11") with the click of one button.  (I dare you to do it in Word . . . even the hacks didn't work for me!) 
3.  Grouping, ordering, and arranging text boxes, photos, clip art, etc. is EASY!!!! 

In short, Publisher is my friend. 

Why, then, you might ask, did I futz around with Word for an hour and a half today on a postcard only to finally give up and return to Publisher?  Well, the last time I used Publisher, it kept crashing.  As soon as I opened the file I wanted to work on, POOF!  One of my not-so-friendly error messages appeared--Microsoft has encountered a problem . . . blah, blah, blah--and the program shut down. 

I have since run several recovery sessions, but I didn't want to frustrate myself (ha!), so I used Word.  BAD CHOICE!

I was able to design the thing easily, but getting four copies to print on one page proved to be nigh impossible.  I adjusted page size.  I designed 4 on one page.  I even tried converting to PDFs.  Nope.  Did not want to work for me. 

Out of desperation, I returned to the old standby.  Five minutes later--literally--I have 16 gorgeous full-color postcards on glossy photo paper ready for tomorrow. 

I have only one complaint about Publisher (aside from its strange crashing experience a few months back): the lack of a free Android app version.  Microsoft has them for Excel, Word, and a few other programs I have no interest in even exploring.  What's the deal with my Publisher?  I've experimented with the "free" trial version of the entire Microsoft Office and hated it.  Is it really so hard to make my Publisher mobile? 

I would like to think they'll come around and realize that the world needs Publisher for tablet, but  I fear they never will.  At least I have it on my laptop . . . at least until my next Microsoft Meltdown!

No comments:

Post a Comment