Labels

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Remembering Harry

A few years ago, my Uncle Harry died of colon cancer.  (Get the colonoscopy, boys and girls!  I've done it . . . you may throw up a little from the Gatorade, but honestly, what's a bigger deal?  I can attest that slowly dying as cancer metastasizes throughout your body is much worse!) 

For the past several years, my parents and Harry's family/friends have hosted a "Harry's Harvest and Family Fun Day" at the family farm.  This year there was a 5K walk, wagon ride, butterfly release, brunch, raffle, and steak fry dinner.  The proceeds benefit Harry's widow and children, who decided to further donate a portion of the proceeds to a charity chosen by the kids. 

I thought it was a good time to say a few words about Harry.  My mother's youngest brother, Harry was only about 10 years older than me.  He spent a summer on our farm, so he has always had a special place in my heart . . . the place only an older-brother figure can have for a little girl with no older brother! 

My favorite memories of Harry include him:
  • Sporting blue hair to support Scituate soccer.
  • Cruising in his wood-grain station wagon ("The Chick Magnet") and holding half of a corded phone in one hand, pretending he had a car phone (a la Miami Vice).
  • Counting corn money at coffee break.  (He LOVED counting money!)  He'd count it forwards, backwards, like a banker, like a mobster, singly, in piles of tens, twenties, hundreds . . . any way you can count money, he'd do it!
  • Letting my siblings and me put barrettes in his hair during an incredibly long, boring Princess House party my mother hosted in our tiny attic apartment over my grandparents' house.  
  • Singing along with garage band heroes.  "The Boss," The Cars, Elvis Costello, The Red Hot Chili Peppers . . . I can't hear any of them without thinking of Harry.
  • Attending Aunt Sara's baby shower . . . the entire thing . . . and managing to fit in.  I don't know another man who could or would pull that off.  
  • Playing soccer.  Hard.  Ferociously.  Joyously.  
  • Cracking jokes.  Harry brought laughter with him wherever he went.  His humor was infectious.  I don't know if he just found the world funny or whether he enjoyed being the center of rapt attention or both, but Harry was the one to invite if you wanted a good time.  
There are other stories that approach the level of family legend and yet are not politically-correct enough to record here.  (Some things you've just gotta be there for!) 

Suffice it to say I was blessed to have him for an uncle. 

And did I mention to get your *@!&* colonoscopy?

No comments:

Post a Comment